Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Bella Belisima (from "Lazooz") Part II

She replied to the journalist that
she didn't have time to think.
She replied to the journalist that
she didn't have time to think.

Bella Belisima, Bella Belisima...

That incident with the woman in
imprinted in my head.
Where did she get the strength
to lie there without moving,
without fear.

I ask myself
what I would have done in her place
if asthe same moment
I had been
in the area.

It's clear to me that I wouldn't have gone over
to kick him
But to be fair and tell the truth
I don't think I would have been
capable
of behaving like her.

Much more typical of me to get up
and run away
Or at the most
try to find a cop
or something.

But she lay there until her strength waned.
For twenty minutes she took all those kicks
Her children, they watched
they did not stop crying.

Bella Belisima, Bela Belisima...

This lady did not become a symbol
And her name has been effectively
erased from all consciousness.

There is no stamp with her face
Perhaps because Israel is not yet ready
and is not yet willing
to accept a hero
whose heroism is not in war --
a hero whose heroism is not in the military,
a hero whose heroism is just moral,
a hero who is a woman,
and a haredi, too.

Know this,
dear woman,
I did not forget
The story of your heroism.
I promised to myself
that this story is worth education children with

It's a story that is worth educating children with,
It's a story that is worth educating children with,
It is a story that is worthy...

Bella Belisima, Bella Belisima...

No comments:

Post a Comment